At any stage of pancreatitis, doctors forbid the use of lemon, lemon water in any form because of the high concentration of acids that stimulate secretory activity of the digestive glands, dangerous in pancreatitis. Lemon also has a pronounced choleretic effect, which is considered dangerous in acute cholecystitis. Specialists recommend replacing this fruit with other products of similar composition.
Lemon is one of the most common citrus fruits, which has a pronounced antiseptic, immune stimulating effect on the body.
Flavonoids and other beneficial substances in its composition have antioxidant, anti-aging effect, promotes excretion of toxins, slags, salts of uric acid, heavy metals.
Lemon, lemon zest and juice, water are widely used in cooking, cosmetology, as well as in traditional and alternative medicine.
The diet prescribed for the acute form of the disease implies the introduction into the diet a few days (usually three) after the pancreatic attack of fruit juices, previously diluted with boiled water. The permission does not apply to lemon - with an equal amount of water and juice, with a predominance of water - there will be harm. It is better to consume pumpkin or potato juices, which do not contain contradictory.
Is lemon good for acute pancreatitis?
Lemon in acute pancreatitis is strictly forbidden. The fruit contains 8% of citric acid, prohibited for digestion by a strained pancreas. The figure is too high. Due to the said chemical, lemon shows an extremely sour taste. When citric acid enters the gastrointestinal tract, the pancreas produces excessive amounts of digestive enzymes. The gland needs rest and relaxation, such strenuous work is an unacceptable luxury.
Even after the attack is over, consuming lemon in any form is not a good idea.
The chronic form does not allow you to enjoy the citrus fruit. If you really want to, it is allowed with reservations to try dishes that include lemon in small quantities. Simply the fruit of the lemon is not eaten.
Among the typical dishes with lemon are:
- Tea with lemon. First, the drink should not be brewed strong, and second, a small piece of lemon can be a drag on the pancreas. It is better not to think about sugar.
- Fish dishes. Many housewives do not forget to use lemon to add flavor when cooking fish. Patients with pancreatitis should not eat such dishes. Fish is allowed to boil - perhaps the taste of the food will be different, but the pancreas will say "thank you". The same applies to meat. Fish with lemon
- Confectionery. When buying a product in a confectionery, it is not superfluous to ask the seller whether citric acid was used in the preparation. In the store you will need to carefully study the composition printed on the label. Citric acid is not one of the banned substances, which manufacturers deliberately want to hide from the eyes of the consumer, in the study it is difficult to be deceived.
- Marinades. Pickles often use foods (condiments) that are undesirable in pancreatitis. It is better to pass by without inquiring about the composition, in a hundred percent certainty of the harm of pickled foods.
- Sauces. They are used for two reasons: either to sweeten or, on the contrary, to make it spicier. Both options imply the presence of harmful substances in the product.
Drinks using lemon in the recipe are forbidden.
At a guest or restaurant, when looking at a suspicious dish that includes lemon or parts of the fruit, don't be afraid to tell the truth about the prohibition of lemon. Remember, even a drop of lemon water or juice can provoke another attack!
Doctors do not recommend consuming lemon in small amounts. If it seems to the patient that the pancreas can take it, try it. If the result is negative, do not try again.
To experiment with the introduction of new products, it is advisable to wait for a stable period of remission - the known therapeutic qualities of lemon for pancreatitis do not help. If the pancreas is calm, functioning normally, it is allowed to make an attempt.
Doctors recommend following a diet that includes:
- natural yoghurts (self-made yoghurts are a priority);
- olive oil (great substitute for lemon juice and mayonnaise when you want to dress the salad);
- stewed vegetables.
Citrus fruits contain a large number of substances that are needed for metabolic processes in the body. Their usefulness is due to such components:
- vitamins - A, E, C, PP;
- phytoncides and essential oils;
- micronutrients - calcium, iron, magnesium;
- pectins - cleanses the liver and the body of toxic substances;
- complex carbohydrates;
- sugars that are easily digested are fructose and glucose.
Due to their unique composition, citrus fruits have a whole range of beneficial effects. They strengthen the immune system, reduce inflammation, and provide an antioxidant effect. However, these components are also capable of damaging the affected organ:
The acids have a stimulating effect on the epithelium of the digestive organs. As a result, the synthesis of bile and pancreatic juice increases. In healthy people, these processes improve digestion. However, in pancreatitis, they provoke pancreonecrosis. This disorder is accompanied by destruction of gland tissues by proteolytic enzymes. This is caused by the disruption of the outflow of the secretion into the duodenum.
Sugar increases the load on the endocrine part of the pancreas - Langerhans islets. They synthesize the hormones insulin and glucagon. In inflammatory lesions, an increase in sugar content is dangerous due to the disruption of endocrine function of the pancreas. As a consequence, the risk of diabetes mellitus increases.
Allergens provoke unwanted reactions in the form of skin rashes. In the presence of pancreatitis, the condition of the organs worsens. When the pancreas is affected, swelling increases and further impairs the function of the organ.
Plant fiber activates the peristalsis of the digestive organs. This manifests itself as a choleretic effect, which is dangerous in recurrent cholecystitis or cholelithiasis. In addition, the motility of the digestive organs increases. This causes flatulence, pain, diarrhea, vomiting.
The fruit contains 8% citric acid, which is forbidden to be digested by a stressed pancreas.
After a stable remission is achieved, citrus fruits can be gradually introduced into the diet. But it must be done correctly, following these recommendations:
- Choose only fresh and ripe fruits - they should not have mold or rot;
- In the case of lesions of the digestive organs, the fruit pulp should be cleaned from the skin, seeds, membranes - these fragments concentrate a lot of phytoncides, essential oils and other elements that cause a relapse of the disease;
- eat citrus fruits only after meals - eating lemons on an empty stomach provokes irritation of the mucous membranes;
- Before using it, you should make sure that you have no allergies.
Because of what substances pancreatitis patients should not eat lemons
Lemons contain special substances that give the fruit a distinct flavor and aroma. These include:
- geranyl acetate;
These substances increase the load on the digestive organs. In addition, lemons have a juicy effect, which is especially dangerous in case of pancreatic inflammation.
This information is provided by UAMEDTOURS website experts and is not intended to replace medical advice. Consult your doctor for expert advice on your own health.