How do we choose the best treatment?
Vacuum aspiration abortion in 2023
The world of medical procedures can often be a complex and confusing one. Especially when it comes to sensitive topics like abortion. One procedure that often raises questions is vacuum aspiration abortion, also known as mini-abortion. Are you curious about it? Do you want to know how it works, how much it costs, and where it can be carried out in Ukraine? Well, you've landed in the right place.
What is Vacuum Aspiration Abortion?
Before we dig deeper, let's clear up what vacuum aspiration abortion is. It's a type of abortion that typically occurs within the first trimester of pregnancy. This procedure is usually quick, safe, and less invasive than other types of abortion (not including medical abortion).
Benefits of Vacuum Aspiration Abortion
While each situation is unique, vacuum aspiration abortions are generally regarded as an efficient and less physically taxing method of terminating a pregnancy. It requires no incisions and the recovery period is often minimal. Well, for many women, these factors can make a significant difference in their choice of procedure.
Doctors See all doctors
Abortion Laws in Ukraine
In Ukraine, the law permits abortions on request up to the 12th week of pregnancy, making vacuum aspiration abortions legal. At a term that exceeds 12 weeks abortion in Ukraine can be performed only in case of medical indications:
- Medical problems in the fetus: After 12 weeks of pregnancy, serious abnormalities or defects of fetal development may be detected which may pose a threat to the fetus' life or quality of life in the future. In such cases, abortion may be recommended as a maternal health and/or ethical decision.
- Maternal conditions: Some women may have serious conditions or complications of pregnancy that could pose a threat to their health or life. For example, pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy), infections, uterine tumors, or other medical conditions may require medical intervention, including abortion.
- Emergencies: In rare cases, emergencies such as severe accidents or other injuries may result in the need for abortion to protect the health and life of the mother.
Mini-abortion: Stages of the procedure and cost
Now that you have a clearer picture of the context, let's delve into the specifics of the vacuum aspiration abortion procedure and its costs.
Vacuum abortion procedure in Ukraine
Any medical intervention in your body is a great stress on your health and responsibility for the medical staff. Despite the fact that a mini-abortion is considered a simple procedure, it requires adherence to protocol and treatment standards. Therefore, before the procedure, make sure that your doctor is an experienced expert in this field. Gynecologists in Ukraine take a very responsible approach to this procedure and perform it in several stages, which include:
- Preparation. Before the procedure, the woman is provided with information about the process, including potential risks and side effects. A medical examination is conducted, including an ultrasound, to determine the exact gestational age and the condition of the uterus.
- Preparatory measures. Prior to the procedure, the woman may be offered sedative medications or local anesthesia to ensure comfort and reduce pain.
- Cervical dilation. Before inserting the cannula (a thin tube) into the uterus, the cervix is dilated, typically using specialized instruments or medications. This allows access to the uterine cavity for the procedure.
- Vacuum aspiration. The doctor inserts a thin plastic cannula through the cervix into the uterine cavity. The cannula is connected to a specialized device with negative pressure (vacuum). By creating suction with the vacuum, the soft tissues are removed from the uterine cavity. Different sizes of cannulas may be used to adapt to different gestational ages.
- Confirmation of completion. After the tissue has been removed, the doctor performs a visual inspection and/or ultrasound examination to ensure complete evacuation of the uterus and the absence of complications.
- Post-procedural care. Following the completion of the vacuum abortion, the woman is provided with rest and medical care. The use of anti-inflammatory medication or antibiotics may be prescribed to prevent infection. The woman may also receive recommendations regarding contraception and physical activity during the recovery period.
It is important to note that the specific steps and techniques involved in a vacuum abortion may vary depending on the medical facility and the individual circumstances of the procedure. The procedure always has to be performed by a qualified healthcare professional in a clinical setting.
The cost of vacuum abortion in Ukraine in 2023
The cost of vacuum-aspiration abortion in Ukraine can vary depending on the clinic and the additional care required. It should be taken into account that before and after the procedure, you will need to visit a gynecologist and undergo an ultrasound, there may also be additional costs.
Prices for vacuum abortion in Ukraine
«Kiymedical» Medical Center
From 250 euro
From 320 euro
Clinics Offering Vacuum Aspiration Abortion in Ukraine
What to Expect When Choosing a Clinic
Choosing a clinic for any medical procedure is a very responsible decision, which requires serious analysis, reading reviews, and weighing the pros and cons.
Welcome to «Kiymedical» Clinic, one of Kyiv's well-regarded health facilities. Located in the bustling capital city, this clinic is known for its commitment to quality medical care and high level of service. But what really sets it apart from others?
From the moment you step in, you'll notice that clinic provides a welcoming environment, designed to put patients at ease. The team here understands the importance of a comfortable setting, especially when dealing with sensitive procedures such as vacuum aspiration abortions.
The staff at «Kiymedical» Clinic is a blend of experienced medical professionals and warm, patient-friendly individuals. Each team member is dedicated to guiding patients through their procedures, ensuring they are well-informed and comfortable throughout.
One notable aspect of clinic is its focus on utilizing modern medical equipment and techniques. This commitment to cutting-edge technology translates to safer and more efficient procedures.
Located in the beautiful city of Lviv, the «Expert» Hospital is another reputable medical institution in Ukraine. It is known for its professional and compassionate care.
The hospital focuses on patient care and confidentiality in its work. When it comes to delicate procedures such as vacuum aspiration abortion, attention to patient confidentiality ensures a stress-free experience. Imagine the peace of mind that comes when you know you are in safe hands.
The medical team at «Expert» Clinic is made up of experienced professionals, each bringing their own unique expertise to the job. This diverse skill set ensures that patients receive comprehensive care tailored to their specific needs.
Post-Procedure Care and Considerations
Post-Abortion Support and Care
Post-abortion support and care are essential to ensure the physical, emotional, and psychological well-being of women who have undergone an abortion. Here are some key aspects of post-abortion support and care:
- Medical Follow-up: After an abortion, it is important to have a follow-up appointment with a healthcare provider to ensure that the procedure was successful and to monitor any potential complications. This may involve a physical examination, ultrasound, or blood tests.
- Emotional Support: Many women experience a range of emotions following an abortion, including relief, sadness, guilt, or a sense of loss. Access to non-judgmental and compassionate emotional support is crucial. This support can come from trusted friends, family members, support groups, or mental health professionals. Counseling or therapy may be beneficial for processing emotions and promoting healing.
- Contraception Counseling: To prevent future unintended pregnancies, women should receive comprehensive information about contraceptive options and have access to counseling. This helps in making informed choices regarding contraception that best suit their needs and preferences.
- Physical Recovery: Healthcare providers should provide guidance on post-procedural care, including information on pain management, possible side effects, and signs of complications. Rest, adequate nutrition, and following any prescribed medications or instructions are important for a smooth recovery.
- Education and Resources: Providing accurate and evidence-based information about reproductive health, contraception, and future pregnancy planning is crucial. Women should be aware of their reproductive rights, available resources, and support services.
- Confidentiality and Privacy: Maintaining confidentiality and privacy is vital in creating a safe and supportive environment for women seeking post-abortion care. Healthcare providers should ensure the protection of personal information and create a non-judgmental atmosphere.
It is important to note that post-abortion support and care should be tailored to individual needs, taking into account cultural, social, and personal circumstances.
Possible side effects and complications of vacuum abortion
While vacuum aspiration is generally considered a safe and effective method for abortion, there are potential side effects and complications that can arise. It's important to note that the likelihood of experiencing these complications may vary depending on factors such as gestational age, individual health, and the skill of the healthcare provider. Here are some possible side effects and complications:
- Cramping and Pain: It is common to experience cramping and abdominal pain during and after the procedure. Pain medication may be prescribed to help manage discomfort.
- Bleeding: Vaginal bleeding is expected after a vacuum abortion and can last for several days or weeks. However, if the bleeding becomes heavy, persists for an extended period, or is accompanied by severe pain, it should be reported to a healthcare provider.
- Incomplete Abortion: In some cases, the procedure may not completely remove all pregnancy tissue from the uterus. This may require further treatment, such as a repeat aspiration or medication.
- Infection: There is a risk of infection following an abortion. Signs of infection may include fever, persistent abdominal pain, foul-smelling discharge, or heavy bleeding. Prompt medical attention should be sought if these symptoms occur.
- Damage to the Uterus or Cervix: Although rare, there is a small risk of injury to the uterus or cervix during the procedure, which could potentially require surgical intervention.
- Emotional and Psychological Effects: Some women may experience emotional or psychological reactions after an abortion, such as feelings of sadness, guilt, or regret. It is important to have access to emotional support and counseling if needed.
It is crucial for women to be aware of these potential side effects and complications and to follow any post-procedure instructions provided by their healthcare provider. If any concerning symptoms or complications arise, it is recommended to seek medical attention promptly.
The decision to have a vacuum aspiration abortion is a deeply personal one. However, understanding the procedure, costs, and care involved can make the process a little less daunting.
Get more information about all the nuances of vacuum abortion in Ukraine, patients from abroad can contact the specialists of the company «UAmedTOURS».
Yes, it's generally considered a safe and effective method of early pregnancy termination.
Most women recover within a few days, but it can vary depending on the individual.
Costs can vary depending on the clinic and the extent of care required. The average price starts at 250 euros.
Post-abortion care includes medical follow-ups and psychological support, both of which are available in most clinics in Ukraine.